Welcome to the Stafford Legacy!

This is the tale of Emory Stafford, a princess from the 1600s that accidentally finds her way into our time. Please start from Generation 1: Chapter 1 (link in the side bar on the right) if you are new to the legacy!

Also, please check out my visual art blog, An Artist's Journey, and give me feeback! I'm looking to learn and grow :) Link is embedded in the bold title.

Monday, July 11, 2011

Generation 2; Chapter 7: Escape Route

“Where are we??” Victoria blinked against the faint light that lit the tiny apartment.
“Don’t worry about where we are,” Belle replied a little quietly.



“I took you here so you can keep a low profile while Clyde cools off. The first places he’ll check are your hold house and Anthony’s house. All you need to know is this is the apartment of a friend of mine.”



“What do you mean, “while Clyde cools off”? Am I not going back?”
“Of course not! Why else would I have asked you to grab all of your things?”


“But how did you know to get me? How do you know what’s going on? And who Anthony is?”
“I’m still living with your parents… I mean… with your father.” The light in Belle’s eyes faded as the realization came back.
Victoria hadn’t thought about how hard this must have been on Belle, watching her older sister grow old and die while she herself stayed young. Victoria could see the strain on Belle’s beautiful, ageless face. There was a slight darkness under her eyes and stress lines, in spite of the fact that she no longer aged.


“But how did you know about my problems with Clyde?” Victoria asked, trying to change the subject.
“Being a vampire has its benefits,” Belle replied with a slight smile. Victoria saw her relax a little. “I overheard your confessions to Emory when you came to visit. I can hear almost any conversation perfectly within a certain distance. I looked into it and asked around for as much info as I could find.” Belle plopped down onto the couch wearily.


“Reuban wasn’t kidding when he told me I would carry the weight of the family’s burdens on my back for eternity.” Victoria recalled that Reuban was the vampire who had kidnapped and subsequently changed Belle to spite Emory for running away from his marriage proposal in the 1600s.
“Aunt Belle, I’m SO sorry,” Victoria said with a sort of reverence. She sat down gently beside her.


“Oh honey, it’s not your fault at all. As soon as I heard about your situation I couldn’t wait to get you out of there. You’ll just stay here and keep a low profile for a few days and then I’ll bring you to Anthony’s.”
Victoria’s heart lept in a way she wasn’t used to.
“Anthony? I’m going to his apartment?”


Belle cracked a smile. “Of course! I’ve talked to him, and he’s willing to let you move in while you figure stuff out.” Victoria’s chest felt like it was about to explode. She had talked to Anthony? He wanted to help her?
“Wow, Aunt Belle. I… I don’t know what to say. Thank you. Thank you so much!” Victoria hopped off the couch and pulled her into a big hug.


But then as she glanced around and her belongings laying on the ground, she felt the pit of her stomach drop out.
“Oh my God.”
“What?” Belle asked, sensing the sudden fear in her voice.
“I left the chest at his house. Clyde’s house. Oh my God.” Belle grabbed her shoulders.
“Victoria, you can’t go back for it. It’s too risky. I’m… I’m sorry.” Victoria felt a lump grow in her throat.


“I… have to,” Victoria breathed. “I can’t leave Emory’s chest with that horrible person. Who knows what he’ll do with it?”
“Victoria, please,” Belle pleaded. “You can’t. Who knows what he’ll do to you? I’ve risked so much getting you away from there. You can never go back. Please.”



Victoria looking into Belle’s begging eyes. She couldn’t hurt her. Not after all she’d done.
“Alright,” she finally said, throwing in the towel. “I won’t go back for it.”



“I’m sorry, Victoria. I know what it meant to you. The sun’s already up, but why don’t you try to get a bit of sleep. You’ve had a long night.”
Victoria climbed into the guest bed, but she couldn’t sleep. She just laid staring into space. She wasn’t going to give up the chest that easily.



2 comments:

  1. Great chapter! I think you should use the 'hideheadlineeffects on' cheat. I know that stupid rule which says to not use cheats but it's for the quality of your photos :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Yeah... I know... haha I've been trying to avoid using it, but I'm using other cheats for the sake of getting these photos so I guess I'll try it out haha. They got in the way a LOT this time around.

    Thank you for the comment! :)

    ReplyDelete