Welcome to the Stafford Legacy!

This is the tale of Emory Stafford, a princess from the 1600s that accidentally finds her way into our time. Please start from Generation 1: Chapter 1 (link in the side bar on the right) if you are new to the legacy!

Also, please check out my visual art blog, An Artist's Journey, and give me feeback! I'm looking to learn and grow :) Link is embedded in the bold title.

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Generation 1; Chapter 17: The First Step

“Victoria, what is that you’re wearing?” Emory caught Victoria as she was heading out the door to school.
“New clothes!” Victoria said with a smile. “Like the ones the other kids at school wear!”

“Oh no you don’t! No daughter of mine goes out in public looking anything less than a sophisticated lady. Go change.”
“But mother! Nobody else at school dresses like that! Please let me wear these clothes!”
“I said change, Victoria!” Emory said, raising her voice slightly.

“Fine, but I’m going to miss the bus!” Victoria yelled as she marched upstairs.
“You had better not!” Emory called behind her.
Emory was relieved when Victoria was out the door and on the bus, back in her gown.

Victoria had been pushing the limits lately. Emory had always guessed that it would be difficult to raise a child, but lately Victoria seemed to oppose everything she said. And Emory had a good idea of where she had gotten those clothes.

“Belle, did you buy Victoria those atrocious clothes?” Emory asked, approaching Belle.
“Yes,” Belle said in a very matter-of-fact tone. “She’s going to school now, she needs to fit in.”
We never fit in! And we got along just fine! In fact, we’re becoming famous for it! And she was wearing pants, Belle. That is completely unacceptable for a young lady. She looked like a little boy!”

“Oh stop being so dramatic!” said Belle. “She’s a child being raised in the 21st century, she can wear pants if she wants to!”
“But she’s my daughter, and royalty at that!” Emory shot back. “She must act as such!”

“Newsflash, Emory, we’re not in 1675 anymore! We’re not even in England! We’re not royalty!”
“How DARE you!” Emory was yelling now. “We will always be royalty. You have no right to tell me how I will raise my daughter!”
“You should listen to HER wants for once! If you don’t want her wearing pants, fine, but at least let her wear a dress from this century!”

There was a silent pause as Emory contemplated. “Fine,” she finally said. But that’s as far as I’m willing to go.”
Belle smiled. “Thank you. I’m sure she will be very grateful. I’ll take her shopping tomorrow.”
And that’s exactly what they did.

“I can’t believe mother is actually agreeing to this!” Victoria exclaimed, entering the store.
“Well, you deserve it, Vic! Doing so well in school right off the bat… now let’s see…”
After trying on dress after dress, they finally decided on one that was cute and modern.

“Very nice! I think we’ve found a winner!” Belle exclaimed playfully. Victoria giggled and spun around, looking at herself in the mirror.
“I love it! Thanks, Aunt Belle!” Victoria said, hugging her.

“You’re very welcome, hun.”
“You know,” Victoria started, “sometimes I think mother just doesn’t understand me. But you do, Aunt Belle.” Belle eyed her contemplatively.
“I understand completely.”

No comments:

Post a Comment