Welcome to the Stafford Legacy!

This is the tale of Emory Stafford, a princess from the 1600s that accidentally finds her way into our time. Please start from Generation 1: Chapter 1 (link in the side bar on the right) if you are new to the legacy!

Also, please check out my visual art blog, An Artist's Journey, and give me feeback! I'm looking to learn and grow :) Link is embedded in the bold title.

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Generation 1; Chapter 14: The Unwelcome Gift

(Author's Note: As some of you may be aware, CC hair sometimes acts up on Mac computers. Mine is, unfortunately, being frustrating. Therefore, I have temporarily replaced my CC hair with similar EA hairs. They will be back to normal as soon as my CC hair starts working again. Sorry!

Also, just to clarify, the flashback sequence is indeed supposed to be to the dinner that took place in the Bridgeport house, but they're in the new, non-laggy neighborhood for the sake of my sanity.)

It was as if Belle had never returned. Emory stayed holed up in her room, now hardly eating anything, and never speaking. The whole family was upset and disturbed by her behavior.
One day, however, there came a knock on the bedroom door.

The door opened timidly, and a terrified and pale-looking Belle stepped through.
“Get out,” Emory hissed at her, not even meeting her eye.
“Emory please… I have to tell you how it happened. I didn’t choose this.”

“You might as well have, acting the way you were.” Emory said, still not looking at her.
Please let me tell you, Emory.” Belle said softly. There was no reply. Belle hesitantly pulled up a chair.
“It all began when Reuban came over for dinner,” she began.

“He was so charming, and continuously complimented me. He was unlike anyone I’ve met here, Emory. He acted like he was… a nobleman. He respected me as the royalty I am.”


“Soon he pulled me aside so we could be alone. He told me he wanted to show me something secret, but that he just needed to find it first. He asked me if there was anywhere in the house that I was not allowed to go. So I brought him in here, to the door, and told him it had always been locked.”

“When he saw the door, he smiled. It was a brutish smile that didn’t seem to fit him, but somehow I didn’t care. It was like his presence kept me calm. He placed him palm against the door and the handle began to glow a deep crimson. Suddenly, it unlocked and he pulled me in with him.”

“Inside was nothing like I had ever seen before. It was a tiny room, whose walls were covered in deep red. Hardly any lights shone except a few little candles on what appeared to be a huge chunk of stone or marble.”

“As much as I had tried to deny it in my head, I knew at that point that you had been right. He was a vampire. I tried to leave, but he pulled me close. Embracing me, he pressed his lips to my throat. I didn’t know what to do, so I just stood there.”

“He whispered… well… he whispered into my ear that he could tell I was going to taste good. Then I felt a twinge of pain in my flesh and then coldness as blood left me through the wound. Not at a natural, slow speed though. It was quick, it made me shiver. Then I felt weak. I wasn’t sure if he’d be able to stop. But just before I blacked out, he pulled his fangs from me.”

“Dazed and confused, I heard him let out a pleased moan and then say, “If you value your life, you’ll meet me at my place tomorrow for another meal. If you don’t, you’ll just end up as a buffet at my next party. And not everybody has as much control as I do. And you WILL keep this a secret, or a much worse fate will befall you and anyone you tell.””

“With that, he left me. Fearing for my life and all of yours, I did return the next day. And the next day. And the next day. The following visits were much like the first. Seduction, pain, weakness, and a threat. But when I went back the other night, an even more terrible fate would befall me.”

“I faithfully returned, expecting another meal to take place. But when I arrived, Reuban didn’t invite me inside. He grabbed my arm and pulled me out into the forest, miles away from town. He then told me that I knew too much. I don’t know what changed his mind, but he gave me the option: change or die. If I didn’t allow him to change me, he would kill me on the spot. And he assured me that it would be a slow, painful death.”

“I was weak. I was scared. I didn’t want to die, and I knew it would crush you. So… I agreed. Smiling ruthlessly, he approached me and caressed my neck. Kissing it, he whispered, “Good choice.” Just then I felt the familiar pain of his teeth sinking into me, but this time it was in my arm. Instead of the draining feeling of blood leaving my body, my arm swelled. A searing pain blossomed, and spread through my veins until I was completely consumed.”

“I started to shriek and cry, but Reuban clasped his hand tight over my mouth to muffle the screams. And just as quickly as the horrific pain began… it ceased."

"When the pain lifted, a tingling cooling sensation spread through me, followed by the return of my blood flow. I looked down, noticing that blood still coursed through my veins. I hadn’t been turned.”

““Not yet,” he replied. “The process takes a few days. That’s why I took you out here. You will not return home or even to the city until the transformation is complete. I will return here once a day with food and water. Don’t think about going back. I’ve lead you miles and miles into the forest. You’ll get lost, and I will NOT come looking for you. If you don’t die of starvation first, you’ll die when the transformation takes place and you have no blood to feed on. See you in 24 hours.””

“With that, he took off in a burst of speed. With no other choice, I waited and waited in the woods, only being visited briefly by Reuban once a day." 

"I started to feel myself go insane. I had no one to talk to. Nothing to do but wait and think about the horrible things that were happening inside me."

"Finally, on my third day of captivity, it happened.”

“ My blood started tingling, I felt it coursing through my body, I shrieked in terror as I watched my veins deflate, leaving my skin pale."

"I felt a sort of bursting from inside me and fell to the forest floor. Lying there for a moment, I realized that it was done. I was a vampire. That day, when Reuban came back, he only had a few words for me.”

““You have done your part,” he said. “You may return to your family. Don’t worry, I’ll be catching up with you soon.” With that, he ran away, and I haven’t seen him since. With my new state of living came an impeccable sense of direction, and I easily found my way back here.”

“Well… that’s what happened. Now you know. It was horrible, Emory, horrible.” Tears were rolling down her cheeks. “And now I’m stuck like this, and he’s coming back, and-”
But she was stopped by a sudden and tight embrace from Emory, who was sobbing.

“Oh, Belle! I’m so sorry this happened to you! It’s my fault for coming here in the first place!”
As Emory continued crying, Victoria came in the door.

"A man came up the door and told me to give this note to you, mother," she said, handing a small note to Emory. As she read it, her hand flew up to her mouth. She looked up and Belle and then handed her the note. Belle gasped. 

The note read: 

"Yes, yes it is your fault, Emory. And it's even more your fault than you know."

1 comment:

  1. Oh, a new twist. Can't wait to find out what that fault is.

    ReplyDelete