Welcome to the Stafford Legacy!

This is the tale of Emory Stafford, a princess from the 1600s that accidentally finds her way into our time. Please start from Generation 1: Chapter 1 (link in the side bar on the right) if you are new to the legacy!

Also, please check out my visual art blog, An Artist's Journey, and give me feeback! I'm looking to learn and grow :) Link is embedded in the bold title.

Monday, June 20, 2011

Generation 2; Chapter 5: The Worst Regret


“I don’t care, you WON’T see him again!”
“You are NOT my mother!” Victoria screamed at him for what seemed like the millionth time.

Clyde continued yelling, but Victoria had learned to block him out. She just turned and started walking to her bedroom. These fights were getting more and more frequent. Victoria would try to go out to see Anthony and Clyde would go into a fit of jealous rage.


“He’s not the boss of me,” Victoria whispered to herself. She was fuming. “Just because I’m living with him doesn’t mean I have to be with him.” She gave her pillow a nice hard punch and plopped down face first on her bed.
Just then, her phone rang and buzzed as it vibrated along the surface of her desk. She grunted her disproval at having to stand back up and then went to go answer it.

“Hello?” Victoria sighed.
“Victoria? I’m so glad you answered. It’s your father.”
“Dad?” Victoria asked, very surprised at hearing his voice.
“Yes. I’m afraid I’ve got some bad news. Can you come over to the house right now?” Victoria paused in surprise. She hadn’t heard from either of her parents since she moved out.


“R-right now? What’s going on?”
“I’m afraid it’s best I told you in person. Can you come?”
Victoria paused again and said softly, “Yes.”
“Oh good, I’ll see you soon,” her father said before hanging up the receiver. Victoria stood frozen in her room. What could have happened?


“Where do you think you’re going?” Clyde called to her as she was going out the door.
“Out,” Victoria said shortly.
“You are not allowed to see that bastard!”
“I’M HAVING A FAMILY EMERGENCY! SHOVE OFF, ASSHOLE!” Clyde stood speechless in his spot as Victoria took off for the taxi.

She hadn’t been here in so long. Since she had abandoned her parents. She was almost nervous to be back here. Her stomach was in knots, and she couldn’t tell if it was the nerves for seeing her parents again or nerves for hearing whatever this bad news was.
Victoria let herself in with the key under the mat and walked upstairs.

“Victoria! I’m… I’m so glad you’re here,” Thomas said as he pulled her into a tight embrace. “It’s been so long…”
Victoria’s eyes misted a bit. “I’m so sorry, dad.”
“Victoria, there’s no easy way to say this. Honey, your mother is dying. My Emory is dying…” Victoria’s stomach felt like it was full of molten glass. Her hand shot to her mouth. Her veins felt like ice.
“Dad,” the word escaped her lips like a plea.
“I’m so sorry. She wanted to see you. Go on in.” He motioned to the master bedroom door.

Unable to speak, Victoria just turned the handle and walked in the door. Emory was lying asleep in her bed. She had grown so old. Her hair had turned completely grey and her face pale. Victoria felt a hot tear run down her cheek at seeing her mother’s face again after all this time.

“M-mom?” Victoria whispered softly. Emory’s eyes slowly lifted open. When she saw Victoria, her eyes lit up.
“I can’t believe you came. I’m… I’m so relieved,” Emory said as a matching tear rolled down her cheek.
“I’m so sorry!” Victoria bawled as she sat down on the bed beside her mother.

“It’s been so hard living away from home and I’ve missed you so much and Clyde is so controlling and won’t let me do anything and I just want to talk to this guy named Anthony-”
“Woah woah, slow down Victoria,” Emory said wearily.
“You’re right, I’m sorry. I didn’t come here to complain about my life. Mom, I just wish I hadn’t left you and dad. I love you so, so much.”
“Honey, you did what you needed to do. You are a girl of this time and place. I never was. You taught me to open my mind to this way of life.”

Victoria couldn’t bear to look at her mother. She blinked down a steady flow of silent tears as she ran to the window. How could her mother be so understanding and loving even after all she’d put her through?
“Victoria, I have something I have to tell you. Or give you, rather. You had to have it before I leave you for good.” Victoria turned around just in time to see her mother standing feebly. She ran over to help her.
“Mom! What are you doing?”
“Come close, dear.”

“Even though you are too young to know for sure,” Emory whispered into her ear, “your Aunt Belle and I really did travel here from the 1600s. And I have something for you. Never let go of our past. Never let go of our family legacy. You are royalty, Victoria. Never forget that. There is a chest in your old bedroom. Take it with you to remind you of this always.” Unable to stand any longer, Emory collapsed onto her bed again.


3 comments:

  1. Ohh! I waited for this chapter so much and I'm happy it's finally here :] It was great, can't wait to see what will happen next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering if you would like to check out my story. It's called Love and Lies and you can find it here:
    http://dstoriescorner.blogspot.com/
    I hope you'll like it as much as I like your story :]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comment! Sorry for the long wait, I've been super busy with work! Glad you liked it :) I should have the next chapter out in a day or two, so you won't have to wait much longer this time!

    I'll go check out your story now :)

    ReplyDelete