Welcome to the Stafford Legacy!

This is the tale of Emory Stafford, a princess from the 1600s that accidentally finds her way into our time. Please start from Generation 1: Chapter 1 (link in the side bar on the right) if you are new to the legacy!

Also, please check out my visual art blog, An Artist's Journey, and give me feeback! I'm looking to learn and grow :) Link is embedded in the bold title.

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Generation 1; Chapter 5: What is This Feeling?

Emory was nervous. It had been a few days since Thomas had given her the news that his “friend in the music industry” had asked that Emory play for her band in exchange for a real piano.

Emory knew nothing of the music cultures of this time period. How could she possibly perform them? But Thomas had promised it’d be easy. 

She already knew the chords and their structure, she just needed to adjust to the new playing environment.


Thomas could tell she was nervous.
“You ready?”  Thomas asked. “They should be here any minute.”

“They’re not going to like me, Thomas, I just know it!” Emory fretted to him. “I’m different! I shouldn’t even be here! This can’t possibly be right for me-“
“Shh…” Thomas consoled her. “They’ll love you. I know it.”
Just then, the callbox rang.
“Hey Thomas, it’s us, could you buzz us in?”

Emory’s heart jumped. In what seemed like no time, there were two strange looking people walking into the apartment which, until now, had been Emory’s safe haven away from the strange outside world.




“HEYY Thomas, whazzup??” cried a girl with very long, bleach blonde hair. She wore a purple dress that would have been very pretty if it wasn’t so short, Emory thought. Thomas greeted her with a clap on the shoulder. This must be his “friend”.


She seemed a little strange to Emory. She couldn't quite get a read on her.

Feeling lonely and overwhelmed, Emory stepped away for a moment.
Another, slightly quieter girl with shorter, golden blonde hair came through the door as well.
“You must be Emory!” she said, shaking Emory’s hand. “I’m Stella. I love your dress! Are you trying to start a new trend? I sure hope it catches on!”


“It’d be a new trend, alright,” the other girl said, coming over to Emory. “I’m Matilda, and I run this band. Our other keyboardist quit last minute, and we need you for a gig we’re playing soon.”  

“I’m pleased to meet both of you,” Emory said timidly.
“Aww listen to her, she’s so sweet!” Stella exclaimed. Emory could tell she was going to like her.
“Well, let’s see what you’ve got, then,” said Matilda.

When Emory finished playing a short piece she had learned, Stella was the first to speak. “Wow, Emory, you’re really good!”

“I suppose so,” said Matilda, “but that’s not really our “style”. We play pop covers. Think you could learn our rep?”

“I’ve been playing my whole life, I’m sure I can handle it,” Emory said, with just the slightest edge to her voice. Matilda shot her a quick glance, sizing her up.

“Alright. I suppose you can join us. Welcome to Music Epiphany. We rehearse at my place on a pretty regular basis. I’ll contact you with the practice schedule.” With that, Matilda seemed no longer interested in Emory. She sat down on the couch and began to watch TV.

Stella came up to Emory. “You know, I’ve tinkered a little with the keyboard myself. Nothing compared to you, but do you think you could play with me a little bit? My keyboard is out in my car.”
“I would love that,” Emory said, feeling she had made her first real friend besides Thomas.

His eyes were glued on Emory all night. The way he watched her play was with complete enthusiasm and care.

When it came time to leave, Stella gave Emory a hug.
“I had a wonderful time playing with you tonight!” Stella said enthusiastically. I’m so glad you’re joining our band! See you soon!”


“Bye Emory, see you soon,” was all Matilda said.
Thomas bid them all farewell and saw them to the elevator.

As soon as she and Thomas were back in the apartment by themselves, Emory let out a huge, audible sigh of relief.
“Whew, I’m so glad that is over,” Emory said, plopping onto the couch.

“You were wonderful,” he said, taking a seat next to her. “They loved you. Just give Matilda some time. She’s a little “up there” on the social ladder. It takes her some time to warm up to people. She’ll come around. You and Stella seemed to hit it off quite nicely though.”

“Yes, she’s a very sweet girl,” Emory said. There was a comfortable silence between them.
“Emory, I couldn’t take my eyes off of you,” Thomas said, blushing. Emory’s cheeks instantly matched the color of his.


“Emory, I don’t know how to say this, but…” He pulled her close to himself and kissed her. “…I think I love you.”

Emory sat there, eyes wide and jaw dropped. They weren’t influenced by alcohol this time, she thought. This time was serious. He really meant it.

Much to Thomas’ surprise, she leaned forward and kissed him back. Emory felt like her insides were full of air, and would just lift her off the ground at any moment.

“Thomas I… I’ve never felt like this with anyone before. I don’t… know what to say I-”


Thomas stood up and pulled Emory up off the couch. He kissed her again, but this time more fiercely.

Emory’s mind was spinning. She’d never done this with a man before. What if she made a fool of herself?

But these troubling thoughts flew away as he pulled her over to his bed. She struggled inwardly as to whether or not this was appropriate for her. After all, she didn’t belong here.

But she didn’t care. She couldn’t. All she could think of was him. What his kisses felt like. His arms around her. And she let all of her worries leave her.



4 comments:

  1. The princess has been deflowered! :O

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I am looking for new stories to read, and through Acid blog I came to your blog. And like Acid said deflowered she is :)

    Going to read further!
    This story reminds me of that movie with Meg Ryan. Don't remember the name of the movie...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you found me! And so glad you are enjoying the story!

    Are you talking about the movie Kate and Leopold? I LOVE that movie!! Yeah, in a way, this story is kind of like a reverse of that :)

    ReplyDelete