Welcome to the Stafford Legacy!

This is the tale of Emory Stafford, a princess from the 1600s that accidentally finds her way into our time. Please start from Generation 1: Chapter 1 (link in the side bar on the right) if you are new to the legacy!

Also, please check out my visual art blog, An Artist's Journey, and give me feeback! I'm looking to learn and grow :) Link is embedded in the bold title.

Monday, February 7, 2011

Generation 1; Chapter 16: Haunted Past

It seemed so obvious. How could she have not seen the connection before? Emory had been beating herself up about it since they had discovered the answer to Reuban’s little riddle.
“Thomas!” Emory had cried after reading the note and finally understanding the meaning, “What was your boss, Reuban’s, last name?”


“Irvine.” He had replied. “Reuban Irvine. Why?” Belle and Emory had gasped, with looks of horror on their faces. Emory turned immediately and ran upstairs, Belle close at hand. Worried and curious, Thomas followed.

Sure enough, Emory discovered upon checking the computer that the Prince of France that she had been promised to was named Augustine Irvine.
“That’s it!” she said, standing up from the computer. “He’s related to Augustine!”

All day, Emory had fretted, praying that Victoria would return home safely. She held Reuban’s note all day, occasionally glancing down at the phrase “It’s not over yet.”
Now here she stood, watching out the window for the return of the school bus.

Finally, at long last, the bus pulled up to the curb. Emory felt herself breathe sharply and hold her breath as the children got off the bus. And then it happened… Victoria stepped off the bus, looking completely healthy, no bite mark on her neck or arms.
Emory let out a cry of relief and the tears started streaming. She ran outside to greet her daughter.

“Oh my precious daughter! I’m so glad you’re alright!” she said, trying to pull herself back together.
“What are you talking about, mother? It was just school.” Emory looked into her daughter’s eyes and, not wanting to frighten her, tried to shake off her emotion.

“Oh!” Victoria said, reaching into her backpack. “I almost forgot. That man gave me another note for you when I was walking out to the bus after school.”
Emory felt her stomach jump up into her throat. He had been near her?
Trying to keep calm, she took the note and hurried Victoria inside.

“Go do your homework, darling, and let me speak with Belle in private,” Emory said to Victoria. After she had gone, she pulled Belle aside so they could read the note. It read:

“Congratulations! You have figured out my relations to your betrothed. But let me share something else with you. Did you wonder, upon discovering who I was, why I am not a prince? See, that’s what happens when a political marriage is disrupted.

You were supposed to marry Augustine. Your marriage was going to save the French throne for my family. But when the marriage never took place, thanks to your little tantrum, our family was forced off of the throne.

You cost me and my family our royalty. When we fell from power, Augustine swore he would have his revenge. The story of your abandonment has been passed down my family from first born to first born for generations. Who would have thought that after all of this time, it would be I who found not a relative, but the beautiful Emory herself.

I don’t know how you did it. I don’t know how you’re here. But I know who you are. And now, you know who I am.”

Emory looked up at Belle after finishing the note. “Oh Belle, it’s all my fault!”

If I had never left, you never would have come here and you would be a perfectly regular human being! Oh, look what I’ve done!”
“It’s okay, Emory!” Belle replied, patting her on the back. “I fell right into his trap. We all did.”
“What do we do now? We have to keep Victoria safe. Should we keep her away from school?”

“He’s had several opportunities already to capture or change her and hasn’t taken them. I think the one you should be worried about is yourself, Emory.”

No comments:

Post a Comment