Welcome to the Stafford Legacy!

This is the tale of Emory Stafford, a princess from the 1600s that accidentally finds her way into our time. Please start from Generation 1: Chapter 1 (link in the side bar on the right) if you are new to the legacy!

Also, please check out my visual art blog, An Artist's Journey, and give me feeback! I'm looking to learn and grow :) Link is embedded in the bold title.

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Generation 1; Chapter 4: A Piece of Home

“You believe me? At last?” Emory asked.

“Yes, Emory. Or, I guess I should say, Your Highness.” Thomas chuckled in spite of himself.

“What made you change your mind?” Emory questioned him.
“I looked you up online. Well, I looked up your history. You were… are… a very talented person.”

“I saw the portrait from your 20th birthday… the day you came here. It is you, without a doubt. After everything last night, I finally know.”


“Well, I’m glad you finally understand my predicament,” Emory said with a mischievous smile. 


“Now you see that I have to find a way back home.” Emory continued. “I have to find a way back to my own time.”

Thomas felt the light in his eyes dim a little bit. “Well, you are welcome to stay here while you figure it out.”
“Thank you,” Emory said, gazing into his eyes.


“I read that you play the piano really well.” Thomas said, blushing a little bit. 

“You know, I have an old keyboard tucked away somewhere… I know it’s not as good as the real thing, but I could look for it if you’d like. It could help you pass the time.”


“Really? I don’t know what a keyboard is, but it’d be nice to play again.” Thomas ran off into the hallway closet and after only a few moments of searching, emerged with a small electric keyboard.

Emory gasped. Something familiar! She ran her fingers along the dusty keys.

When she pressed them, though, they didn’t play.
“Is it broken?” she asked. Thomas laughed a little bit.
“No, it’s just not turned on. It’s electric. See that red button? Whenever you want to play, press that button and you can play all you want.”


Emory placed her fingers on the keys and played a chord. A smile broke on to her face. She fell into Thomas’ arms and hugged him.


“Thank you. It’s wonderful.”
“You’re welcome.” Thomas said, surprised at her reaction. 


“You know, I’ve got some friends in the music industry, maybe we could get the real thing? I’ve never played, so I’ve never had the need for a real piano. But I’d be happy to look into it for you.”
“I would love that, Thomas.” He blushed at hearing her say his name.


“Listen, Emory, I have to go to work. But I want you to know that I… I’m so glad I met you. Have fun with the keyboard. I’ll be back soon.”

Emory ran out into the hall to watch him leave in the elevator.

After he left, Emory felt his presence still hanging in the room. What was this? She didn’t want him to leave. She wanted him back now.
“Don’t be silly,” she said outloud to herself. “He’ll be right back.”

Suddenly, she was very self conscious that she had been in her night clothes this whole time.


Her gown, even as soiled as it had been from the night in the woods, was now almost as good as new, thanks to the new washing machines that Thomas had shown her. She did, however, desperately want some new gowns. Perhaps she could convince Thomas to take her shopping.

Glancing around the small apartment, she found things to tidy up in hopes that when he returned, Thomas would have plenty of time to spend with her.

After the chores and grabbing a quick breakfast, she sat down at the keyboard and began to play.

It was amazing to her how quickly she transitioned from the piano to the keyboard. After all, only 3 days ago, she had sat in the palace parlor and played her favourite selections for her family. It seemed like ages ago.

All day, Emory sat there and played the keyboard. It felt like home. It felt familiar. That’s when Thomas burst in.

“Emory! I have good news and great news! Which do you want first?”
“Um, I don’t know… just tell me!”

“Alright. The good news: my friend down at the music store can indeed get you a used piano for free. The great news? I just found you a paying gig.”



No comments:

Post a Comment